Advie, Grantown on Spey
Morayshire PH26 3LR
+44 1807 510 244
Creation year: 1959
The Tormore distillery is one of the most recent in Scotland, as it has been build between 1958 and 1960 for Long John International by the architect Sir Albert Richardson. It is also the first one to be build in the 20th century.
Despite its young age, this distillery is already a listed building. For this reason, it is not allowed to change anything to its external aspect.
One of the architectural particularities is the clock which bells each quarter of an hour, the copper rotors and the granite used for the building.
The houses of the workers are build in the same style.
The garden is remarkable too, with its hedges in the shape of a bell or a still.
Long John has been absorbed by Whitbread & Co in 1975, and the distillery has been acquired in the same year by Allied Distillers Ltd.
The Tormore distillery is under control of Pernod-Ricard since the French Company purchased the activities of Allied Domecq in 2005.