Banffshire AB55 4BR
+44 1340 820224
Creation date: 1896
The whisky boom of the 1890's suggested Peter MacKenzie and Richard Stackpole to build another distillery in Dufftown. After several years work and a agreement with John Symon owner of mills in the Dufftown area, the new Dufftown distillery was born on 11 November 1896. In those times, the barley grew in the Pittyvaich farm, also belonging to Symon.
The first commercial results arrived just one week later, with the selling of 9 first hogsheads.
From 1898, Peter MacKenzie was active in the blending market as well, and his first steps were succesful in this business. The American market represented nice resources for him, until the prohibition in the early 1920's.
MacKenzie was forced to sell Dufftown, along with Blair Athol which he owned too, to Arthur K. Bell.
The economic situation of the distillery enhanced soon and the production level resumed quickly. 1941 was a desastrous year, and not only for the world of whisky. The shortage in raw material forced the distillery to close, just like many others.
But as soon as 1947, the production resumed to its level before WWII. Production was doubled in 1968. BUt this was not yet enough to satisfy the demand, and 2 more stills were added in 1797 and 1980.
Arthur Bell Company was purchased by Guiness Plc in 1985, and the latter was absorbed by DCL which would become UDV Diageo a few years later.
Dufftown is the largest distillery belonging to Diageo.
The whisky is mainly intended for blend: Bell's, Islander, Dewar's White Label and Johnnie Walker and is available as single malt at some independent bottlers.