Forgue, by Huntly
Aberdeenshire AB5 6DB
+44 1466 730 202
Owner: The BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd
Creation date: 1826
An old song evokes Glendronach as: (free translation): "Current jam is good for the belly. Ginger and hazelnuts are good for the intestines. But Glendronach wine is good for stomach".
The Glendronach distillery was founded by James Allardice in 1826. The Duke of Gordon liked the whisky so much that he took James Allardice with him to London, to present him to the London's gentry. But the success went to Allardice head. He neglected his distillery until 1837, when it was destroyed by a fire. The licence and the ruins of the distillery were sold to Walter Scott, who worked at the Teaninich distillery.
The distillery closed in 1916 and was bought in 1920 by Charles Grant, one of the sons of William Grant. Glendronach remained in the Grant family until 1960 when it was sold to William Teacher & Sons by George Grant.
Teacher's has been acquired by Allied Breweries, currently under control of Allied Distillers Ltd.
The Glendronach distillery was mothballed since 1995, but production resumed in 2004.
The malt is used in the blends Ballantine and Teachers.
The Glendronach distillery is under control of Pernod-Ricard since the French Company purchased the activities of Allied Domecq in 2005.
In 2008, BenRiach distillery purchased Glendronach. BenRiach Distillery Company has been acquired 2016 by Brown-Forman.