Morayshire IV30 3RD
+44 1343 553 800
Creation year: 1821
According to old excise document, Peter Brown began distilling whisky at Linkwood in 1824. After his death, his son, William Brown ran the distillery for another 30 years, and gave the distillery a solid reputation.
Linkwood is tooled up since the very beginning with large capacity stills.
Completely refurbished in 1872, it entered in the Stock Exchange quotation in 1898, when the family Brown created the Linkwood-Glenlivet company.
Innes Cameron managed the distillery from 1902 up to his death in 1932. The distillery has been taken over in 1936 by the D.C.L. (Distillers Company Ltd.), and refurbished again in 1962. Like many other distilleries, it was closed during World War II.
When it opened again, it was ran by Roderick Mackenzie for 18 years. Mackenzie was very afraid that the quality of the whisky could be altered by any change in the distillery, so he decided nothing could be altered at Linkwood, even the spin webs must stay in place.
Enlarged in1971, Linkwood tripled its production capacity. Despite all those alterations, the Linkwood distillery has always kept its traditional character.
The distillery was closed from 1985 up to 1990.
Only 1 or 2% of the production is marketed as single malt, the remaining being used in the blends of the UDV group, White Horse, Haig, Bells and Dimple amongst others