Morayshire AB38 7RP
+44 1340 810 205
Creation year: 1898
The distillery has been founded in 1898 by John Thomson on the river Spey
Back in the early 1900's, Knockando was the first Speyside distillery to use electricity. Closed two years after its creation, it has been acquired by W&A Gilbey Ltd, the famous gin producers from London in 1904.
The distillery has been rebuild in 1969, when it doubled its production capacity. Knockando became part of IDV/Gran Metropolitan in 1975.
It's single malt is always bottled as vintages, and the distillery started marketing single malt as soon as 1978. Knockando is number eight of the single malts exporters.
However, only 8% of the production is marketed as single malt, the remaining part being used for the blends J&B and Spey Royal.