Banffshire AB38 7RP
+44 1340 872200
Owner: Ian MacLeod
Creation year: 1897
The Tamdhu distillery has been created in 1896-97 by a blenders group, but became 2 years later part of the Highland Distillers & Co, who still are the owners nowadays.
The distillery has been closed from 1911 to 1913, then from 1927 till 1948 and its production capacity has been doubled in 1972.
During the time it was closed, the distillery has been used as warehouse for Glenrothes distillery.
In 1975 the number of stills grew to 6. The Tamdhu distillery produces its own malt, using a Saladin box.
The major part of the production is used in the blends Famous Grouse, J&B and Cutty Sark.
The distillery has been mothballed for a few years till it was acquired by Ian MacLeod in June 2011. Production should resume in early 2012.