Campbeltown Argyll PA28 6EX
Tel: +44 (0) 1586 552009
Owner: J&A Mitchell & Company
Creation date: 1872, closed in 1925 and reopened in 2000
The Glengyle distillery has been the first to reopen in Campbeltown in 125 years. It is situated near Springbank and belongs to the same owner.
Glengyle was created in 1872 by William Mitchell and the construction took place in 1873. Its first life was rather short, as it closed in 1925. All the stock was sold in an auction and it was used from the early 1970's as the depot and sales office of the Kintyre Farmers Cooperation.
The great-great nephew of the founder, Hedley Wright decided to reopen this distillery, which was achieved in November 2000, making it the first new distillery in Campbeltown in more than one centruy.
The new distillery was operational at March 25, 2004 when the first Kilkerran batch was distilled.
Malting happens at the neighbour Springbank distillery and the mill was purchased (second hand) from Craigellachie disitllery. The wash still comes from Ben Wyvis.