Aberlour Banffshire AB38 9PJ
+44 1340 871 204
Creation year: 1826
Settled in the village of Aberlour in the heart of the Speyside area, the Aberlour distillery is officially running since 1826, but it was probably active before this date.
The distillery has been founded by James Gordon but was transferred to its current location by James Flemming in 1879.
There were two distilleries in the village of Aberlour up to 1948. Aberlour distillery has been sold by James Flemming to the Thorne & Sons group in 1982, but James stayed in the distillery as a manager until 1920.
An explosion in the millhouse in 1989 caused a fire which completely destroyed the distillery. It was quickly rebuild so the production could resume.The distillery only closed during the two world wars.
The distillery has been extended in 1945 just after its acquisition by the Campbell Distillers group. This group became part of the French group Pernod-Ricard in 1974. The distillery has been completely demolished and rebuild in 1973 when French group took it over.
The shape of the stills, with a very wide base, dates from the second rebuild of the distillery in 1898.
The village of Aberlour has probably been founded during the 7th century when St Dustan used to baptise the converts in the water of the burn flowing from the granite mountain Ben Rinnes.
Peat from the region is used sparingly.
25 to 50 % of the production is matured in sherry casks, the remaining part being matured in bourbon casks.
About 50% of the production is marketed as single malt, the remaining part being used for the Clan Campbell blend, belonging to the same group.