Ross-shire IV17 OUT
+44 1349 882 362
Owner: Whyte & Mackay Ltd
Creation date: 1839
The distillery has been founded in 1839 by Alexander Matheson and is settled on the banks of the Cromarty Firth, facing the fertile Black Isle.
The aim of Matheson by creating this distillery was not to run it, but to hire it. The first tenants of the distillery were the family Sutherland. Among the members of this family, Margaret Sutherland hired the distillery from 1860 to 1866. Her nickname was "Sometime distiller" because she only worked when she had time to...
Andrew Mackenzie took over the lease in 1866 after a short period (less than one year) when Robert Pattison hired the distillery.
Andrew joined together with his friends William and Charles to found the Mackenzie Brothers company.
Business was good and the production has been doubled in 1874 by adjunction of two new stills. The Mackenzie brothers acquired the distillery in 1891.
Business began to become worse from 1910 and the distillery had to close for about 10 years. During this time, the distillery has been used by the British army to produce mines. The stocks have first been move to some other place.
All the casks were brought back to the distillery in 1920 and the production resumed in 1921 after important alteration works. The Mackenzie were close friends of James Whyte and Charles MacKay whose company, Whyte & MacKay took the control over the distillery some years later.
The production capacity of Dalmore has been doubled again in 1966.
The company has been renamed in 1996 in J.B.B. (Greater Europe) and become Kindal Spirits Ltd in 2001, before being renamed again in 2003 in White and MacKay Ltd.
A great part of the production is used in the blends Whyte and MacKay and the Claymore