JavaScript Logo Un certain nombre de fonctions comme la liste des distilleries ou des régions, ainsi que la possibilité de fermer les fenêtres publicitaires ne fonctionnent pas parce que JavaScript est désactivé.


Si vous avez aimé ce site mais que vous avez horreur de la réclame, sachez que la publicité représente les seuls revenus de ce site, mis à part les donations. [an error occurred while processing this directive]


Français | English
Glenfiddich distillery
For information about the whisky produced by this distillery, please click on the photo.

Glenfiddich Distillery
Dufftown, Keith
AB55 4DH
+44 1340 820 000

Owner: William Grant & Sons Ltd
Creation date 1887


The Distillery

Just like Glenfarclas and Springbank, Glenfiddich is still driven by the founders family. This is nowadays very unusual in the scotch whisky industry. William Grant founded the distillery and used therefore second hand material bought from Elisabeth Cumming, from the Cardhu distillery.
This idea was not based on economic reasons, but William Grant refused to start a distillery without knowing for sure the stills were working properly. William has been working for over 20 years in the whisky industry as a manager and accountant at the Mortlach distillery before founding Glenfiddich.
The first spirit came out of the stills during Christmas Eve in 1887, and the distillery became quickly very successful. After five years, William Grant started building his second distillery, Balvenie.
After the bankrupt of one of his best clients, Robert Pattison, William Grant began making his blends by himself, and was very successful with his first products called "Standfast" and "Best Procurable".
The Grant's distilleries were amongst the only ones which continued producing their whisky during the two world wars.
One of William's sons, Charles Grant bought the distillery Glendronach, and sold it forty years later to William Teacher.
The present owners of the distillery represent the fifth generation of Grants managing the business. To be sure to be able to produce their blends, the Grants must guarantee the follow up of grain whisky. In order to achieve this, the family decided the construction of the Girvan grain distillery on the ground of the Lowland "Ladyburn" distillery which closed in 1976.
Glenfiddich was the very first scotch distillery to export its single malt outside of Scotland. This was a kind of revolution in the world of whisky.
In 1990 the family Grant founded a new distillery called Kininvie.
Glenfiddich is much more than a famous single malt, it is a real ambassador or Scotland around the world.
About 90% of the production is sold as single malt, and the remaining 10% are used in the Grant's blend.

The geography


> Saturday, 09-Jun-2018 13:24:32 CEST
Wed 16 01 2019, 18:16 - 2 visiteurs au cours de la dernire heure et 2 visiteurs sur le site en ce moment.
Copyright :Jean-Marie Putz (2003-2017)

Whisky is an alcoholic drink. Let's prefer quality to quantity as the abuse of alcohol beverages can damage the health. Consuming alcoholic drinks during pregnancy, even in small quantities, can seriously affect the health of the child. Consumption of alcohol impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.

This site does not collect any private data from it's visitors. Is is purely static.

The tasting notes

The distilleries

The whisky

The production areas

WDTS: blind tasting sessions List of all distilleries How whisky is made Central Highlands, Eastern Highlands, Northern Highlands,Western Highlands
Recent tastings Distillery owners Whisky history Speyside
Visitors notes The independent bottlers All the bottles in collection Lowlands
Post your own notes The distilleries in their historical context By order of preference Islay
Interactive map of the distilleries By order of value for money Campbeltown
Copyright Contact Links The Isles